A classic takeout option, pad thai is a super popular dish that can be made vegan too! Made with tofu instead of shrimp (which is the traditional version) and asparagus for an added bite, this vegan pad thai recipe is full of flavour and offers the perfect balance of sweet and salty.
With lots of crunchy veg and a delicious zesty tang, find out how to make this quick and easy vegan/vegetarian pad thai below.
Prep time: 10mins
Cook time: 15mins
Total time: 25mins
Nutrition: per serving
- 250g flat rice noodles
- 300g firm tofu drained, patted dry and cut into cubes
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed and sliced
- 6 spring onions halved and thinly sliced
- 2 limes, 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, plus extra for serving
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 300g beansprouts
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Handful coriander leaves
- Cook the noodles as suggested by the manufacturer. Mix the lime juice, tamarind and sweet chili sauce together in a small bowl and set to one side.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a non-stick wok and fry the tofu for 7 minutes, stirring often until golden on all sides. Set this to one side.
- Add more oil to the pan and cook the asparagus in it until it softens. Then throw in the spring onions, beansprouts and garlic, cooking for a few minutes more. Add the drained noodles, sauce mixture and a pinch of salt.
- Mix in the tofu and heat through. Serve with the coriander and lime wedges.
Sign up for Holland & Barrett NewsLetter
Plus get expert advice to support your health & wellness straight to your inbox when you sign up to Holland & Barrett emails.